Sunday, December 29, 2013

Breakfast at Tiffany's Bridal Shower; The Inspiration



Why was the theme chosen?

Having had a love affair with the "little blue box" most of my life is where it all began.  The color, so sumptuous, the white double faced satin ribbon tied so regally, the mystique and anticipation of the treasure within.  Collecting these awe-inspiring boxes began as early as my own engagement announcement. I was hoarding every Tiffany box under the sun.  From there, it was boxes from our wedding bands, special occasion gifts exchanged between myself and my husband, our bridal registry, my bridal shower, our wedding and then baby announcements, baby showers, baptisms and 1st birthday parties....a collection gone wild.
I saved each and every one but not without a purpose.  I knew that one day, there would be a reason to celebrate my love affair with "the little blue box" all over again.  My intention was to share it with someone who deeply had the same appreciation and that person was one of my best friends, Jess.
Jess' personal home office has a large framed picture of Audrey Hepburn, her fashion goddess to whom she pays daily homage.  An inspiration to Jess, along with the movie Audrey stars in, "Breakfast at Tiffany's."  Jess, "gaga" over jewelry, is never without her pearls for work and her LBD (Little Black Dress). In her own words, "pearls are a staple in my wardrobe."  I knew when I met Jess, saw that picture hanging in her office and her "Audrey" style, that she was the perfect candidate for a lavish Breakfast at Tiffany's bridal shower.  She had the same dream as I once did: a magical, memorable bridal shower.

HOW WAS THE THEME CARRIED OUT?

Carried out by a long time vision, I had my work cut out for me.  I began by listing everything I could possibly create to emulate a Breakfast at Tiffany's that would have the personal signature associated with my own creative style.   I did not use books or Google to search for ideas. Instead, I allowed my imagination to run wild.  That meant Breakfast at Tiffany's on steroids.  I started months in advance, feverishly going through my list of projects, from the details of the favors and decor to the elegant breakfast menu.  First, was to unearth the Tiffany box collection from my basement and then to exchange the red silk christmas bows (I had added years ago) to the original white.  Next was to create a jaw dropping invitation that told a story of the theme. Guests were asked to come in LBDs, elegant hats and lots of diamonds and pearls.  The invitation was created by mass photocopies of Audrey Hepburn's image in her starring role of the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's. Embellished with rick-rack trim, diamond-like studs and bordered with Tiffany blue colored card stock, which had the poem styled invitation on the reverse side.
THE PROJECTS:

The projects were endless, from faux diamond and pearls decorating the table-scapes, lining food and beverage trays and engulfing candles like quick sand. Tiffany blue and white linen napkins were doubled up and held together with oversized faux diamond engagement napkin rings.  Every chandelier was draped in pearls and bared images of Audrey Hepburn (from the movie of course).  The entire first floor was dripping with diamonds and pearls.  Each champagne glass stem, was tied with Tiffany blue colored tulle, and large tulle bows adorned the candelabras on the dining room table.  Silk bows on yogurt parfait glasses, miniature hand-made food signs with Audrey's image, miniature white cupcakes with Tiffany blue colored icing and a minimized picture of Audrey Hepburn, which I glued to tooth picks.  The favors were Cracker Jack boxes, which I carefully opened at the bottom, emptied 1/2 the contents into a bowl, added a pair of cubic zirconia earrings to the prize tag inside, refilled and resealed the box and wrapped like a Tiffany box with Audrey's image in the center of each bow.  I had prizes for games, that had Breakfast At Tiffany's luggage tags, note books & note pads.  Each was placed in a Tiffany blue paper gift bag w matching tissue paper.  I had long vintage style cigarette holders w cigarettes in them for each guest (just for fun), jars filled with Tiffany blue candy, vintage style accordion tissue streamers draped from the ceiling and the boldest statement of all, was authentic Tiffany boxes lining and towering my 13' dining room table.  Small Tiffany boxes filled the chandelier above the dining room table.  I found Tiffany blue colored chargers for my all white porcelain plates.  All the guests were asked to wrap their gifts in Tiffany blue and white.  There was a tea and coffee station with Tiffany blue sugar stirrer sticks, with pyramidal stacked white coffee mugs.  Many tables throughout the house had Tiffany Blue linen table cloths (coffee/tea station, cold beverage station, gift table and even two to cover my kitchen island counter top.  Silver chafing dishes were used to keep food warm, large black hats were placed around the house, including one on the front door to welcome guests.  I cut out a photograph of Audrey Hepburn and place it in a side panel window of my door, where it looked like Audrey was peeking out at the guests.  I made a music playlist, with my favorite tunes from Breakfast at Tiffany's, all kinds of wedding songs and songs that sang about diamonds or pearls.  I made Tiffany blue tulle powder puff bows, which adorned my chandeliers and topped some dessert stands.  I brought the outside in by cutting my fresh hydrangeas, roses and ivy for centerpieces.  I wrapped a large brown grocery store box like a Tiffany package and filled the top with fresh flowers and greens, filled felt Tiffany jewelry pouches with faux diamond and pearls and had them spilling out all over the tables, jars of candy were decorated with Tiffany blue and white ribbon, beautiful paper hearts with glitter blue "T" stickers in the center.  Tiffany blue bubble wands were given to the guests for outdoor photographs, and a wishing well for small household item gifts).


BEVERAGES:

-Icy blue punch in a large silver punch bowl

-Champagne mimosas

-Tea

-Coffee

BREAKFAST:

-Smoked Salmon platter w bagels, capers, chopped eggs, chopped red onions, sliced tomatoes & cream cheese.

-Mini spinach & cheese quiche

-Grand Marnier fruit salad w whipped cream topping

-Mini - Tiffany blue, blueberry mint, granola yogurt parfaits

-Curry potatoes

-French Toast Casserole

-Brown sugar cinnamon Belgian Waffles in heavy cream & vanilla, with fresh fruit & whipped cream

-Toast

-Bacon

-Sausage

-Scrambled eggs


MUSIC PLAY LIST:

-Here comes the bride (for Jess' grand entrance) (by Terrance Buchard)

-Breakfast at Tiffany's (by Deep Blue Something)

-Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend (by Marilyn Monroe)

-Going To The Chapel (Mundwerk)

-Moon River (Audrey Hepburn/Breakfast at Tiffany's)

-Pachelbel's Canon In D

-Diamonds (by Rhianna)

-Diamond Girl (by Seals & Crofts)

-Mr. Yunoshi (by Henry Mancini/Breakfast at Tiffany's)

-Loose Caboose (Henry Mancini/Breakfast at Tiffany's)

-The Big Blow Out (by Henry Mancini/Breakfast at Tiffany's)

-Latin Golightly (Henry Mancini/Breakfast at Tiffany's)

-Sally Tomato (Henry Mancini/Breakfast at Tiffany's)

-Something For The Cat (Henry Mancini/Breakfast at Tiffany's)

-Moon River Cha Cha (Harry Mancini/Breakfast at Tiffany's)

-Hub Caps And Tail Lights (Harry Mancini/Breakfast at Tiffany's)

-Holly (Henry Mancini/Breakfast at Tiffanys)


Ambiance:

Music

-Movie: Breakfast at Tiffany's in the living room where gifts were being opened and dessert was being served.

-Candles

-Dim lighting 
Jamie Gottschall 
The NYCLifestylist

No comments:

Post a Comment