Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Finding the "SWEET SPOT" This Valentine's Day

On WFMZ Channel 69 News demonstrating tips and tricks...The table and gorgeous chairs were rented from Leiser's Party Rentals in Nazareth PA for my WFMZ-TV segment. Their stock is endless, chock full of entertaining goodies from linens, tables and chairs, dinnerware, tents, whimsical party accessories, truck rentals, costumes, inflatables just to name a few. Visit Leisersrentals.com or call 610-691-3070. for the delicious details!! I can't leave out their professional service and expertise.
Jamie 
xoxox
Looking for something to do this Valentines Day that's recession proof, fun for the entire family and simple?  Then look no further!  This Valentine's Day, the "sweet spot" is in the comfort of my own home.  I planned a month in advance, seeking inspiration as I combed the craft store for table decor.  I found inspiration from a red and white check picnic blanket and worked from there.  The blanket served as my tablecloth.  Next, I went through my pantry and pulled out four round mirrors that I use as chargers, plain large white plates because they would pop on my busy tablecloth and four small pink luncheon plates with ruffled edges.  I set them on my table from largest to smallest (bottom to top). 




I remembered that I had red and white gingham napkins stashed away and with great excitement, pulled them out.  Digging a little deeper, I found white ones, with pink rick rack trim, perfect!  So which did I decide to use?  Both of course.



I layered the napkins together, placing the smaller one on top of the larger one.  The reason for this is so that the bottom one (which is larger), peeks out from beneath and looks decorative. 


In my case, it was white on top with the gingham sticking out of the bottom. (From underneath) 

I decorated a simple silver napkin ring, by hot gluing layers and different size of ribbon and pulled my layered napkins right through it.
One of the most fun and whimsical parts of this project was creating beautiful heart-shaped floral wreathes for the back of the chairs. I purchased artificial red heart-shaped rose wreaths and embellished them with coordinating gingham ribbon. I then found at the craft store, small Valentine heart shaped boxes.  I tried my luck at placing the boxes in the center of the wreath, and of course with my luck, they fit perfectly. I then proceeded to hot glue the lids onto the bottom portion of the box to secure them. They were beautiful (all found in the craft store).  I then glued tails to the bottom, hot gluing red glitter initial of my family members to them, for a personal touch.  I was truly pleased with how beautiful they came out.  Each one was tied to the back of a chair, designating each family members place at the table.  Tip:  you can even hang one on your door.
Then, I pulled out miniature rose colored footed glasses and tied red glitter tulle bows around the stem.  I found whimsical straws at the craft store and filled the glasses with pink roses.


Next came the centerpiece and most fun part of the table with a bowl ready to serve chocolate fondue or ganache with all the fixins. First, place a mirrored charger in the center of your table,  and place a round silver tray on top of it.  Stack multi-sized cake stands, one on top of the next, after hot gluing some decorative ribbon around the perimeter of your cake stand rim.


I purchased red velvet cake and sliced it into cubes, Madelines, pretzels, marshmallows, fresh strawberries, dried apricots, coconut macaroons, and a variety of cookies.
I began melting my chocolate in a double boiler, being cautious not to burn it. It's best to boil your water first, turn off the flame and then place your pot of chocolate on top covered.  The heat from the steam beneath it will melt it perfectly.  You can simply melt chocolate chips, or wafers on their own, or slowly add some heated heavy cream for more of a ganache.
Briskly transfer your chocolate from the pot, to your decorative bowl.  Don't forget the pics or screwed. I hung whimsical things from the chandelier overhead, such as red blinking heart necklaces and a kitschy red velvet hat I made for a King of Hearts costume for my husband.

Below: the secret to my success is in the surprise layers. For example, "double dipping" in this scenario is totally acceptable!  Dip your treats into your fondue, and then double dip into some fun sprinkles, coconut, granola or chocolate crunchies!  Anything goes!!
Now for the fun part, dipping and in this case only, "double dipping!"  Dip your treats in the chocolate melting pot, and double dip by placing your newly dipped treat in a second round of dip-able treats!  In smaller bowls, fill them with sprinkles, chopped nuts, shredded coconut, mini choc chips, chocolate crunchies, granola and anything fun you can think of.  I even has a shaker of powdered sugar for sprinkling.

Like I always say, think outside the box, but this holiday, outside the heart shaped candy box and ALWAYS think about layering!

Bon Appetite Cupids!!

Jamie XOXO



3 comments:

  1. Those white chairs look gorgeous. I was wondering where you got them from.

    Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. see my post in the comments field. Thank you again. I mentioned you on Lehighvalleystyle.com in a on-line blog and also wrote a big advertising post on my Facebook page. ;)

      Delete
  2. The table and gorgeous chairs were rented from Leiser's Party Rentals in Nazareth PA for my WFMZ-TV segment. Their stock is endless, chock full of entertaining goodies from linens, tables and chairs, dinnerware, tents, whimsical party accessories, truck rentals, costumes, inflatables just to name a few. Visit Leisersrentals.com or call 610-691-3070. for the delicious details!! I can't leave out their professional service and expertise.
    Jamie
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete