Thursday, January 16, 2014

Breakfast at Tiffany's Bridal Shower: Audrey Takes the Cake!


Any Breakfast at Tiffany's themed event I have witnessed always comes equipped with a cake or cupcakes that resemble a Tiffany box with white ribbon.  That's the exact reason I chose not to bake and decorate my cake like the generic version. Most women today eat very little, especially at parties.  I used to end up making too much, too big of portions and end up tossing the leftovers in the trash or giving it away.  With that thought, and through trial and error, my portions have become more reasonable.  This is the exact reason I decided to make mini cupcakes, and have Audrey, or shall I say, Holly, "take the cake!"  

From an Audrey Hepburn coffee table book, I made copies of my favorite
images of her as Holly Golightly.  I minimized the size on the copy machine making miniature replicas.  I cut out each silhouette until I had enough to place 2 silhouettes per cupcake put together with homemade picks).  I purchased flat toothpicks at the local craft store.  On the point-less, top end of the toothpick, I glued these images back to back.

When you are not working with a caterer and your event is of grand proportions, you want the food to be delicious yet simple.  I chose to whip up a fresh batch of Dunkin Hines Moist Deluxe white cake mix the evening before.  This was practically effortless as it took very few steps to prepare and just minutes to bake.  After cooling, I used a can of Dunkin Hines white whipped frosting.  I experimented by mixing shades of blues and greens until I got just the exact Tiffany box color.  
With an off-set spatula, I spread my frosting evenly, leaving some of the cupcake edge showing.  Then I stuck 1 pick in the center of each cupcake, 
and placed them on three tiered white cake stands in the center of my dining room table. 


These cupcakes were a huge hit in such a tiny package.  It reminded me of the Barbie Doll cakes my friends made as a child.  I cleaned each pick and bagged them for future parties.
Jamie Gottschall
The NYClifestylist

No comments:

Post a Comment