Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pumpkin, Coconut, Chocolate Chip Dip


1 pumpkin pie (store bought or fresh)

1 pint Heavy whipping cream

1 cup organic cane sugar

2 1/2 cups coconut flakes

1 1/4 cups Nestlé mini chocolate chips

1/2 cup organic brown sugar

A coating of pumpkin spice

1 grated ginger snap

(Follow my story and step by step directions to recreate my delicious dish!)
There is nothing like the flavor and scent of pumpkin in the heart of autumn.    Pumpkin is so easy to work with, and I have so many recipes to share.  Annually, we have such fun and exciting outings and always a dish to bring.  This is when my creative juices start to flow, and I "wing it." Based on taste, what's in my baking cabinet and knowing what combination of ingredients compliment each other, I trust my instincts and knowledge of fine flavor.  Last year, rushing to an annual Harvest Fest, I needed a quick dish but had little time to cook anything.  I picked up a pumpkin pie in desperation, and brought it home.  Sitting on the kitchen island while the pumpkin pie stared back at me,  I thought to myself, "this has the potential to make a great dip!"  
                                           
Here's how I turned a pumpkin pie into the most scrumptious dip:

I grabbed a chaffing dish, and dumped the pumpkin pie upside down inside.  I began to mash it with a fork, crust and all until I could somewhat smoothly fill the bottom half of the dish.  A pumpkin pie doesn't make for a lot of dip so I decided to break out a container of heavy cream, a mixing bowl and some organic cane sugar (adding the sugar as I whipped it with beaters) and whipped them together.  I then folded the whipped cream into the mashed pumpkin pie, added dry coconut flakes, threw in some mini chocolate chips, and brown sugar for a sweet crunch.  I then mixed and spread the ingredients, filling the dish.  I reached into my spice cabinet and grabbed some "pumpkin spice" flavoring and sprinkled a coating on the top.  Then, I grated a ginger snap cookie as a final layer and served them on the side for scooping.  When my dip arrived at the party, it was a hit!  Guests filled their plates with my pumpkin pie dip and ginger snaps.  I heard the best excuses I ever heard over dessert, for why they could eat so much of it.  "This is amazing, and healthy too," "you need a recipe book, I've never eaten a more delicious, healthy and unique dip."  I looked at my friend, who always enjoys my concoctions and smiled.  Her reply, "seriously, it's time you pitch a cookbook."


Here's to dipping into the season!

Sweetly yours,

Jamie Gottschall
The NYClifestylist

No comments:

Post a Comment